Skip to content
Berry Almond Crumble
- 1 Cup mixed fresh berries: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries
- 2 Tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar, depending upon sweetness of berries
- 1/2 Tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 Cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp ground ginger
- 2 gms salt
- 1/2 Cup melted butter
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped almonds.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Mix berries with tapioca, sugar, zest: In a large bowl put berries and mix with tapioca, sugar and lemon zest. (Without tapioca, crumble will be very runny.) Set aside.
3. Make the topping: Whisk together the flour, sugars, spices and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the melted butter and almonds until coarse crumbs form.
4. Assemble: Pour the filling into a 9-inch square or round pan (do not grease first). Using your fingers, form topping mixture into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch crumbs and spread over cake.
5. Bake: Bake at 350°F until filling bubbles and topping is light golden, about 45-55 minutes. Let cool at least half an hour. Serve warm.