Parenthood is tough enough even before you bring finances into the mix. When you tally it up, you’ll likely spend thousands of dollars a year on Baby’s stuff.
And that doesn’t even account for the crazy-high costs of child care.
To help soften the blow a little, we combed the internet to find the best free baby stuff for parents and parents-to-be — from formula to bonnets to diapers with fox tails on the bottom.
Where Can You Find Free Baby Stuff?
Whether you’re expecting, caring for infants, surviving the terrible twos or preparing for a friend’s baby shower, start with these places to get legit free baby stuff from well-known companies and boutique brands.
Want to try a new formula but don’t want to waste money on something your little one won’t like? Get free baby formula samples from top baby formula brands:
1. Enfamil: Join Enfamil Family Beginnings for a free welcome kit of up to $400 in free gifts and a chance to win free formula for a year.
2. Nature’s One: Get a free sample of Baby’s Only Toddler formula, PediaSmart beverage mix, or Mom’s Only Prenatal Support shake mix. (Note: This program has been temporarily suspended due to the formula shortage.)
3. Similac: Sign up for Similac’s StrongMoms program for up to $400 in free goodies, plus ongoing coupons and discounts.
Check out these brands offering coupons, samples and free baby diapers:
5. Huggies Rewards: Huggies Rewards has partnered with the Fetch app to help you earn points on your Huggies products. You can exchange points for gift cards through Fetch. Gift card choices include diaper-selling stores like Amazon and Walmart to help you get free diapers (or other stuff for Baby). You can also enter to win a year’s supply of free diapers from Huggies — the current sweepstakes runs until Dec. 14, 2022, though the free diaper sweepstakes are ongoing.
6. Pampers Rewards: Join the Pampers Club rewards program, and scan codes when you buy Pampers to earn points you can exchange for cash back, gift cards, free baby gear and more. The app also offers money-off coupons for baby gear just for downloading it and signing up.
7. Abby&Finn: Receive a trial pack that includes eight diapers and a travel pack of 20 wipes — just pay for shipping. You can select up to two trial packs per order.
8. Cuties: Sign up to get a free sample of Cuties Complete Care baby diapers, designed to be extra soft and snug with cute, Instagrammable designs.
Baby’s stuff isn’t the only added expense to plan for when you’re expecting. Moms need care, too! Check out these freebies you can nab for yourself in addition to free baby stuff:
9. Free Breast Pump: Under the Affordable Care Act, your health care plan is required to cover the cost of a breast pump rental or purchase, whether you signed up through the health insurance marketplace or not. Insurers determine whether pumps are manual or electric and how long rentals should last.
11. The Belly Button: This company’s slick products help you wear pre-pregnancy pants throughout your pregnancy — comfortably. Get a free Maternity Band or two Body Bands with the code NAME1. The code gives you up to $40 off any order, and you just pay shipping.
12. The Noobie Box: The Noobie Box is a pregnancy gift box that’s filled with samples for mom and Baby: nursing pads, milk storage bags, stretch mark cream, vitamins, diapers, WaterWipes baby wipes, diaper rash cream and a pacifier. You’ll pay $12.95 for shipping the baby box in the contiguous U.S.
Go beyond the obvious. Check out these other free baby samples and other baby freebies:
13. Shutterfly: Download the Shutterfly app to get a free photo book every month to document your family’s growth. Books are 6×6 and softcover, between 20 and 200 pages with the first 20 free, and you can include photos from your smartphone or social media accounts. You’ll pay $7.99 shipping.
14. Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library: Dolly Parton started Imagination Library in 1995 to provide free kids books to preschool-aged children. To join the book club, check for availability in your area, and follow the instructions to register.
15. Car Seat Canopy: Grab a cute car seat cover from Canopy Couture for free with the code NAME1. The code gives you up to $50 off your order (basic canopies cost $49.95), and you’ll just pay shipping.
Signing up for a baby registry with many retail or online stores will get you a bundle of free baby stuff, including product samples like baby bottles, formula, blankets, diapers, coupons and other supplies.
16. Amazon: Qualifying Prime customers can snag a free welcome box when they create an Amazon baby registry, add 60% of the items on their checklist to their registry, and have $10 or more in purchases from their registry (you can totally order $10 worth of stuff yourself to get the welcome box). Customer reviews on Amazon reported getting a muslin swaddle blanket, bottle, pacifier, breast pads, diapers, wipes, laundry detergent samples, a onesie, baby shampoo, diaper rash cream, and more. As an added perk, Amazon also offers a 15% baby registry discount starting 60 days before Baby’s due date to help you save on must-have baby items. Talk about a fantastic deal!
17. Target: When you set up a Target baby registry for your baby item needs, you can pick up a welcome kit from guest services at your local store. In it, you’ll find more than $100 worth of coupons and free baby samples. Get free items for your new baby while enjoying the joy of shopping at Target!
18. Walmart: When you join Walmart’s baby registry, you’ll get a Baby Welcome Box shipped to your door for free. It includes free samples of name-brand products from Huggies, Enfamil and Mam, though it’ll vary based on available items.
19. BuyBuy Baby: Start your baby registry online, and you can pick up a free goody bag at your local BuyBuy Baby store. Goody bags include baby samples and coupons for discounts on baby items.
20. Babylist: Get a free Hello Baby Box delivered to your door when you start a baby registry online through Babylist and make a minimum $10 purchase. The free baby box includes baby freebies and goodies such as bibs, diapers, wipes, hats, pacifiers, and bottles. You’ll pay $8.95 shipping, plus tax where applicable.
Every penny counts when you’re budgeting around the needs of a child (or a few). Sign up with your favorite brands to receive exclusive offers and coupons to save on the stuff you need and maybe even get free items. Just make sure you don’t let them entice you to spend on stuff you don’t need!
21. Mommy’s Bliss: Sign up for 15% off probiotics for moms, kids and babies; and tummy relief like gripe water for colic symptoms.
22. Gerber Baby: Sign up for MyGerber to get free expert advice, coupons and offers, a customizable menu planner and tailored content.
23. IKEA Family: Join IKEA Family to receive exclusive member coupons, discounts and freebies.
24. Goodnites: eruse Goodnites manufacturer coupons to save money on bedwetting products, or sign up with your email address to receive additional coupons and offers.
25. Baby Cubby: Find Baby Cubby coupon codes through RetailMeNot to save on baby clothes, gear, toys and other items.
26. Pottery Barn Kids: Shop for furniture and accessories for kids’ rooms through Pottery Barn, and browse its coupons, special offers and clearance items to get discounts on items for your nursery.
27. The Children’s Place: Subscribe to email or text alerts from The Children’s Place to get 20% off immediately, plus exclusive offers on clothing, shoes and accessories for babies, toddlers and older kids.
28. Carter’s or OshKosh: Join the Rewarding Moments loyalty program to earn points when you buy clothes for kids, toddlers and babies through Carter’s, OshKosh B’gosh, Skip Hop, and Little Planet. Earn one point for every $1 you spend, and 150 points is equal to $10 free.
29. Nestle Canada: If you live in Canada, register for Nestle Baby & Me to receive a Baby Pack around 35 weeks of pregnancy. The welcome bundle includes free samples, coupons and special offers.
If you want organic or sustainable baby products, a subscription service could help you save money and skip the trips to the store.
30. The Honest Company: You can buy Honest Co. products individually, but you’ll save 20% by subscribing to receive an order every month. You’ll get a month’s supply of diapers and wipes, and can add on extras any month at 15% off. Plus, you’ll get a free gift with every third shipment.
31. Hello Bello: This diaper company, which was founded by actors Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard, offers a monthly subscription with a super cute choice of diaper prints available. You can also add other products, such as vitamins and sunscreen, for 15% off, and you’ll get random freebies in your subscription box from time to time as well.
32. Dyper: Subscribe to receive a monthly supply of eco-friendly diapers or training briefs at a discounted price. Plus you’ll get a free diaper bag when you sign up!
33. The Baby Box Co.: Register for free online parenting classes, and get exclusive promotions.
Look no further than your local community to borrow, buy and receive baby freebies and hand-me-downs to save money and reduce your carbon footprint.
34. Local Facebook Groups: Keep an eye on your city or neighborhood’s Facebook group for parents offering free baby items. Or find a local Buy Nothing Project group to connect with neighbors to get free baby gear. Make sure you pay it forward once your baby is grown by passing along essentials to new parents!
35. Facebook Marketplace: While you’re on Facebook, browse the local Marketplace for parents offering baby stuff for free or trades.
36. NextDoor App: NextDoor is a neighborhood forum where neighbors can chatter amongst themselves. You’ll find crime updates, lost-dog posters and — yup! — freebies. Check the “Baby & Kids” category to get free baby stuff.
37. Your Pediatrician: Like other medical professionals, pediatricians get samples from companies all the time. If you have a specific need — or just want to try some sample products — it never hurts to ask.
38. Garage Sales: Garage sales are rife with affordable baby toys and clothes. Pop in toward the end of a sale to see if the owners are willing to give away any remaining baby stuff for free, a trade or a significantly reduced price.
39. Freecycle: With a mission to keep good stuff out of landfills, Freecycle is made up of more than 5,000 local groups of people giving stuff away for free. Search your location to find a group near you and see its listings.
40. Craigslist: Browse Craigslist freebies for baby stuff on offer in your area. Just make sure you’re careful when meeting strangers and always meet in a public place.
Catherine Hiles has written about a variety of subjects, including finance, cars, cooking, pet ownership and parenting. By day, she manages a team of content editors and graphic designers at a local marketing agency, while in her spare time she is a frequent contributor to several publications, including Dayton Mom Collective, The News Wheel, and her personal blog.